Since the early 2010’s, HIRI has been tracking what types of projects and activities homeowners are undertaking on a quarter by quarter basis. Beginning in 2022 HIRI renamed this quarterly tracker, the spiritual successor of the Consumer Project Planning Survey done previously.
Like the Consumer Project Planning survey, a primary goal of this survey is to determine what types of projects and activities homeowners are planning on undertaking within the next three months. The Home Improvement Project Activity Tracker improves on this concept in two ways:
- In addition to what project activities homeowners plan on doing, we are also tracking activities that they recently completed within the last three months.
- The way in which we collect activity has been altered to collect which areas of their house they improved, followed by which activity they did within that home area.
The Home Improvement Project Activity Tracker samples 2,000 homeowners per quarter and covers 19 home areas and 38 home improvement activities including:
- Master / Primary Bathrooms
- Guest / Secondary Bathrooms
- Master Bedrooms
- Other Bedrooms
- Dining Rooms / Breakfast Nooks
- Living Rooms / Dens / Family Rooms
- Home Offices
- Laundry Room / Mud Room / Sunroom / Utility Room
- Shop / Hobby Rooms
- Basement / Attic
- Interior Entrance / Foyer
- Whole Home Mechanics
- Outdoor Living Areas
- Home Exterior Shells
- Yard / Garden / Landscape
- Exterior Structures