Included in this report: Click here for Table of Contents, Sources, and Methodology
Provides historical home improvement market size estimates beginning in 1992 and forecasted five years for the total market, consumer market, and professional market. Additionally, historical and current year data is also provided for the 9 major U.S. census divisions.
This report is limited to home improvement products purchased, exclusive of any home improvement labor costs, encompassing 21 major merchandise lines for the consumer market (DIY & BIY) portion as listed below:
• Tools & Equipment
• Plumbing Fixtures & Supplies
• Electrical Supplies
• Nursery Stock and Soil Treatments
• Lawn & Garden Tools, Equipment & Supplies
• Dimensional Lumber & Boards, Treated & Untreated
• Panel Products, Engineered Wood Products & Building Components
• Gypsum, Specialty Boards & Treatments
• Insulation & Weatherization Products
• Kitchen & Bath Cabinets & Countertops
• Windows, Skylights & Patio Doors
• Siding & Exterior Trim
• Roofing & Supplies
• Doors & Molding
• Other Building Materials
• Paint & Preservatives
• Paint Sundries & Other Supplies
• Hard-surface Floor Coverings
• Soft-surface Floor Coverings
• Textile floor coverings and accessories
• Major Household Appliances
The professional market is provided only in total with no major product category breakdowns. The professional market only includes products homeowners have the professional buy for them as well as install for them. Labor charges are excluded. Any product bought by the homeowner but installed by a professional (BIY) is included in the consumer market portion.
HIRI is prohibited by IHS Economics to release any information from this report as it relates to its text and economic analysis to non-HIRI members. To get the full analysis, please contacts us about how to become a member.
Twice each year (March and September) The Home Improvement Research Institute provides a home improvement industry market size estimates and forecast report conducted and managed for HIRI by IHS Markit (formerly IHS Economics). Select information from this report is available for sale to non-member companies six months after it has been released to The Home Improvement Research Institute members.
The September 2016 report becomes available for sale to non-members in March of 2017. Five-year estimates are updated in every September report.
If you have any questions about report ordering or report contact, please call (813) 627-6944.